Tuesday, October 2, 2012

DIY Burlap Wreath

Lately I've seen several pictures of burlap wreaths and I really like the look of them for a fall decor piece.  Instead of ordering an expensive one from etsy, I decided to look up some tutorials and make my own.  I found difficult tutorials and ones that seemed easier, but when I ended up at JoAnn Fabrics (the local craft store,) the available supplies didn't match the tutorials 100%, so I adapted.

DIY Burlap Wreath


18 inch metal wreath form
10 yards (1 roll) of burlap garland
Wirecutters
Embellishments (up to you)
Wired twine (used to secure embellishments)

I started by unrolling the roll of burlap.  Once it was unrolled, I tied one end to the wreath form using a small, simple double knot and began weaving the burlap over, under, over, under to the right and then back to the left.


Try to make sure the burlap remains spread to its full width.  This allows it to really pouf and gives it the loopy feel.  (If you like a tighter wound look, you may need more burlap or a smaller wreath form.)  Once you have made it all the way around the wreath form, secure the end with another small double knot, making sure to hide it among the poufs.  Go back over your wreath and fluff where it needs fluffing.

If you have embellishments to add, use the wire cutters to clip where it's appropriate.  Secure to the wreath form by tightly wrapping the embellishments with the wired twine and onto the wreath form. 


All that's left to do is hang your wreath and enjoy the welcoming fall decor!

No comments:

Post a Comment