Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Out of the Office

Last week I was out of the office - I went to Nashville, y'all!  And I get to go back Sunday through Friday this coming week too.  I love a good work trip!  Oh.. I also love southern hospitality and sweet tea.

We ate at two memorable places, the Red Pony Restaurant in Franklin and Merchants Restaurant in Nashville.  Both so good and so different.

At Red Pony, we had the guacamole - a bit non-traditional for a southern cooking feast - but oh my gosh, it was quite possibly some the absolute best I've had.  I went with the shrimp and grits for my main dish and it was great, just a bit on the watery side for the traditional dish.  Beer wise, Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company's Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale was delicious.  And for dessert the creme brulee was a must-order.

Merchants was the venue for my birthday dinner.  The big 2-7, watch out.  The first level is casual and looks out onto Nashville's Broadway stretch while the second level is a bit dressier.  They also have different menus.  The second level had absolutely no wait and naturally won out.  No appetizer here, but their bread is soft and warm complimented by literally the perfect sea salted butter.  I got the scallops and duck fat frites as my main course.  My choice was right on with the scallops, but if I were to go back I would get a different side.  The frites were basically seasoned fries and I couldn't discern the duck taste.  Dessert choices seem to be seasonal so I chose a dynamite dish combining pistachio sorbet and lemon panna cotta.  And not to let you down, of course I tried a new beer.  Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Oak Aged Beer is a must try!

Like I mentioned, I'm going back soon so do you have any favorites I should try?


No comments:

Post a Comment