Saturday, September 1, 2012

Is It Fall Yet?!

Even though it's just now Labor Day weekend, I'm already craving fall.  Fall is my absolute favorite time to bake; I love all the typically fall flavors like pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, etc.  And since college football has started, that's signal enough for me that fall is just around the corner.  With that said, this morning I opened a can of pumpkin and tried a recipe for a low-fat imitation of a Starbucks pumpkin frappucino.  Um, I did not think it was as similar to Starbucks as it claimed so my search continues.  Anyhow, then I was left with all that pumpkin.  Normally, I would freeze it into 2 Tbsp cubes so that I could preserve it & it would come in handy  for those recipes that only call for a dab of pumpkin flavor.  However, with us moving, freezing would just end up getting tossed.  It was too early for dessert (not for me, but Carl probably wouldn't appreciate dessert for breakfast) so I settled on pumpkin pancakes - yum!


Pumpkin Pancakes
(adapted from this recipe) 
Makes 2 servings

2 Tbsp unsalted butter (melted)
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
2 egg yolks 
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup almond flour*
1 Tbsp Splenda sugar blend
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp salt 

*can also use whole wheat flour

In a large bowl mix together the melted butter, milk, pumpkin puree, egg yolks, & vanilla extract.  Once these ingredients are combined, mix in dry ingredients.

(Note:  Okay, at this point the original recipe calls for you to beat the egg whites separately until thick & stiff & add to pancake batter.  Even though I'd already had my coffee, I apparently skipped right over that number while reading the directions so I did not in fact do that...so no egg whites for my pancakes.)



Heat your skillet or griddle to medium heat & lightly dust it with cooking spray.  Use about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake.  Cook until medium brown on each side, top with syrup, & enjoy.


Okay, so even though I had a moment and did not use egg whites, the pancakes were still delish and had just enough pumpkin flavoring!  Mine took a bit longer to cook than normal, but I can only assume that can be attributed to the lack of egg whites (hah.)  These made for a fabulous Saturday morning breakfast!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment