Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Big Hit Sandwiches!

I always think you can never go wrong with a sandwich.  Maybe my mom instilled that in me when I was young; she always made the freshest sandwiches for our lunch bags.  So every now and then I get on a sandwich kick.  Of course I like to make my own, but I don't discriminate among sub shops either; I like them all - Jimmy John's, Subway, Firehouse, Jersey Mike's, etc.  You get the point.  I came across this recipe on Pinterest, which linked me to a blog, which credited the recipe to King's Hawaiian.  With King's rolls being absolutely delicious, I should've known they know how to make a good sandwich!


Hawaiian Baked Ham & Swiss Sandwiches
(adapted from original)

1 12 pack King's Hawaiian Original Rolls
1 lb deli ham - shaved
1 lb Swiss cheese - thinly sliced
1 1/2 sticks butter (I used the butter with olive oil & sea salt flavorings)
3 Tbsps Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tsps Worcestershire sauce
1/2 of an onion - chopped


Heat oven to 350 degrees.  In a sauce pan, melt the butter.  Once melted, mix in the mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and onion.  Let simmer for a few minutes.

While making sure to keep the rolls in tact, cut the entire pack in half horizontally.  Place the bottom halves in a greased 9x13 pan or glassing baking dish.  Spread 1/3 of the onion mixture over the bottom halves of the rolls.  Layer the ham and cheese over this.  Place the tops of the rolls back on top.  Spread the remaining mixture over the tops.  Place in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.


Note:  While writing this post, I searched for the original recipe on the actual King's Hawaiian website.  It called for 1 1/2 tsp dried minced onion rather than a 1/2 of an onion chopped.  I got curious so I looked up substitution equivalents.  According to food.com, 1 Tbsp of dried minced onion = 1 medium chopped onion.  So, only using 1/2 of the actual onion chopped seems consistent flavor wise with the 1 1/2 tsp dried minced onion.  If you have dried minced onion on hand at your house, it's up to you which flavor route to take.


I made these sandwiches for company and they were a big hit!  I made two 12 packs and only 1 lone sandwich was left afterwards.  I will definitely be making these again!

No comments:

Post a Comment